Further to the success of the conduction of the on-line course “Engine Department Introductory Course” last year, Institute of Seatransport will be holding the 2nd round of the course online in 2021.
Date: 26th May 2021 to 28th July 2021 (10 Consecutive Wednesdays)
Time: 18:30 PM – 21:30 PM
Course fee : $4,000 per participant
“MATF-funded course on the “pre-approved” list (maritime-related) under ProTERS”
– successful applicants will be refunded 80% of the fees for completing pre-approved courses/examinations, subject to a cap of $18,000.
No entry standard is required, however, those working in the field of Ship’s Owning, Ship Management, Broking, Port agency or Operating vessels are highly recommended.
Online Registration link: https://forms.gle/RhfP2yEf57iNZ6vV8
Please submit your application before or by 19th May 2021.
General Introduction to Engine Room and Machineries in relation to ship on 26 May 2021 (Wednesday):
• – Layout – Engine Room , Engine Control Room, Steering Room, Boiler
Propulsion on 2 June 2021 (Wednesday):
• Main Engine
• Drive Shaft
• Bearing System
Ship Control on 9 June 2021 (Wednesday):
• Steering gear – Hydraulic System – Rudder – Telemotor
Auxiliary Machinery (I) on 16 June 2021 (Wednesday):
• Fuel Oil System
• Bunkering, sampling method etc
• Lub oil system
• Cooling system – sea water – fresh water
Auxiliary Machinery (II) on 23 June 2021 (Wednesday):
• Electricity Generation System – Generators – Emergency Generator – Batteries – UPS –
• Electricity Distribution System
• Pneumatic System – Air start, Pneumatic actuators, Valves
• Ventilation systems
Hotel Services / Life Support on 30 June 2021 (Wednesday)
• Domestic Water system – Hydrophors, Water Generation
• Sewage / waste water handling system
• Food – Galley + Refrigeration + Garbage + Incinerator
• Air conditioning + Heating system
Pollution Prevention Systems / MARPOL requirements on 7 July 2021 (Wednesday)
• Bilge Water System
• Waste Oil System
• OWS – Incinerator
• Sewage Systems
• Ballast & Air Pollution
Safety systems on 14 July 2021 (Wednesday)
• Fire fighting system – Sea water, CO2, Fixed Foam, Sprinklers
• Prevention – Construction , Design, Detection systems
• Flooding – bilge alarms
Deck Machinery on 21 July 2021 (Wednesday)
• Hatch covers
• Winches / Windlass / Anchors
Manning, Watchkeeping and Maintenance on 28 July 2021 (Wednesday)
• What to monitor?
• What do watch keepers do?
• What is UMS
• Maintenance – Planned / Condition / Breakdown; requirements, limitations
INSTRUCTOR : SHARAD GUPTA
FICS, FIMarI(I), MIMarEST, MHKIMT, CEng
Sharad brings nearly 25 years of maritime experience with him. Having started as a shipboard engineer in 1995 with Chevron Transport Corporation, he rose to the rank of Chief Engineer before settling ashore in 2006 with Mediterranean Shipping Company as a Technical Superintendent.
While progressing through the shore-based career in a technical role, Sharad worked on developing and expanding his skill-set. In 2012, he was awarded the Membership of Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers. In 2017, he also completed an Executive Leadership Programme with Stanford University, California.
A firm believer in Hong Kong’s potential to become even more important on the maritime map of the world, Sharad has been an active participant in the HK Maritime Week, a regular teacher at ICS Preparatory Course as well as a guest faculty with the MPPF Classes for budding mariners in HK.
Sharad is also a regular contributor to maritime publications and a regular speaker at industry seminars.