海運學會的會員來自香港海運業多個範疇, 包括船東、海事保險公司、船務買賣經紀、海事律師、海損理算師、海事仲裁員、船舶驗船師、 貨物檢驗員、船舶工程人員、領港員及在遠洋輪上工作的人員。
Classes of memberships
- Associate Member
- Ordinary Member
- Fellow Member
- Corporate Member
- Life Member
- Life Corporate Member
Qualifications for memberships
To qualify as an Ordinary Member the candidate should have one or more of the following qualifications :-
- a holder of a Certificate of Competence of Master, Radio, Deck or Engineer Officer or equivalent, or
- a professional qualification in Seatransport or Logistics related industry, or
- a university degree as the Executive Committee may from time to time approve, plus at least three years experience in Seatransport or Logistics related business, or
- at least ten years experience in Seatransport or Logistics related business and have attained a position not lower than a departmental manager in a company as the Executive Committee may from time to time approve, or
- other person as the Executive Committee may from time to time approve for admission, by invitation or otherwise.
Any person interested or engaged in the field of seatransport including a student in seatransport or related field shall be eligible as an Associate Member
To qualify as a Fellow Member the candidate shall:-
- have been an Ordinary Member for a least three years.
- not have breached any of the Bye-law of the Institute.
- have excelled in the promotion of or have recognized any material contribution in sea transport or outstanding academic achievement in the field of sea transport.
- satisfy the Executive Committee that he is a suitable person for election as a Fellow Member.
- shall only be elected by an unanimous resolution of the Executive Committee and candidates shall be nominated by a member of the Executive Committee and seconded by another member of the Executive Committee.
- Corporation engaged in business relating to sea transport shall be eligible for admission as a Corporate Member.
- Corporate Member shall have the right to vote and shall not be qualified to be an official or a member of the Executive Committee.
To qualify as a Life Member the candidate shall:-
- have been an Ordinary Member or a Fellow Member
- have not breached any of the Bye-law of the Institute.
- at the time of making an application for a Life Membership have been a member of the Institute for no less than 5 years.
LIFE CORPORATE MEMBERSHIP
- Any corporation or company engaged in business relating to sea transport or logistics shall be eligible for admission as a Life Corporate Member.
- satisfy the Executive Committee that the corporation or company is suitable .for election as a Life Corporate Member.
- Life Corporate Member shall have the right to vote and shall not be qualified to be an official or member of the Executive Committee.
RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF MEMBERS
The Articles of the Institute of Seatransport provide the following Rights and Obligations of its members.
- Subject to Article 6, every Member shall have 1 vote.
- No Member shall be entitled to vote unless all fees and subscriptions payable by him/her to the Institute have been paid.
- Every Member, except otherwise specified herein, may enjoy such rights, benefits and privileges provided by the Institute.
- The rights, benefits and privileges of a Member shall be personal to himself/herself and shall not be transferable by his/her own act or by operation of law and shall cease upon his/her death or upon his/her ceasing from any cause to be a Member under the provisions of those Articles or Bye-law which the Executive Committee may from time to time make. In the case of a Corporate Member, such rights, benefits and privileges shall cease upon its dissolution or winding up.
- Every Member shall be bound to further to the best of his/her ability the objects, interest and influence of the Institute and shall observe the Bye-law of the Institute.
- Any Member may resign or withdraw from the Institute by giving one month’s notice in writing to the Institute of his/her intention to do so and upon the expiration of such notice he/she shall cease to be a Member, but he/she shall nevertheless remain liable for and shall pay to the Institute all money (if any) at the time of his/her ceasing to be a Member which shall be due from him/her to the Institute.
- Any Member who has withdrawn his/her membership or has ceased to be a Member of the Institute shall have no more interest or rights in the Institute and shall not be entitled to refund of any contributions or fees or subscriptions previously paid by him/her.
- Fellow Member – HK$500
- Professional Member – $300 ($400 for those first time applicants, $100 covering the admission fee)
- Life Member – for members who join the Institute for or more than 10 years willing to pay a one-off subscription fee $1500
- Ordinary Member – $250 ($350 for those first time applicants, $100 covering the admission fee)
- Associate Member – $200 (but shall be waived for a full time student)
- Corporate Member – $3000 ($3500 for first time application, $500 covering the admission fee)