The Institute of Seatransport is going to organise an on-line course named “Bill of Lading – Law and Practice for Tramp and Liner Personnel “. The course will be commenced on 14th April 2021 to 28th April 2021 on three consecutive Wednesdays.
Date: 3 Consecutive Wednesdays on14th April 2021, 21st April 2021 & 28th April 2021
Time: 19:00 PM – 22:00 PM
Course fee : $1,000 per participant
Online Registration link : https://forms.gle/RhfP2yEf57iNZ6vV8
“MATF-funded course on the “pre-approved” list (maritime-related) under ProTERS”
The course has been included in the pre-approved list of the “Professional Training and Examination Refund Scheme” under the Maritime and Aviation Training Fund (MATF) of the Transport and Housing Bureau. Under the Scheme, successful applicants will be refunded 80% of the fees for completing pre-approved courses/examinations, subject to a cap of $18,000.
Functions of Bill of Lading:
• Its functions with reference to parties concerned against relevant legislation or case law.
Characteristics of Bill of Lading and usual problems/arguments arising from them:
• Open B/L, Order B/L, Clean B/L, Foul B/L, Through B/L vs Combine Transit B/L, Straight B/L, Sea Waybill
Different forms of Bill of lading:
• Long form B/L vs Short form B/L – How they look like and work.
• Received for Shipment B/L vs Shipped B/L, their difference, – How they look like and work. How can a
“Received for Shipment B/L” legally convert into a “Shipped B/L”?
Usual problems in relation with Bill of Lading:
• How many original B/L normally issued at loading port and Why?
• How many original B/L is required at discharge port in exchange for goods and Why?
• Whether presentation rule apply to Ocean B/L, Straight B/L, Waybill, Express Bill and why?
• Delivery of goods without original B/L (against Letter of Indemnity or bank Guarantee).
• If cargo was delivery against LOI/Bank Guarantee, how many original B/L is required to surrender to
redeem the LOI/Bank Guarantee? Why?
• Problems associated in the incorporation of Charter Party
• What terms can be incorporated into B/L
Discussion in some of the selected terms in B/L:
• Loading/Discharging costs
• Freight issues
Introduction of Bill of lading Act 1855 to COGSA 1992
• History of BOLA 1855, its problems which give rise to the change in legislation to COGSA 1992
Brief introduction to the legal hurdles to be overcome for Blockchain Bill of lading
CHEUNG, Shun Man (Manson)
- Chartered Shipbroker, a Fellow of The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators, The Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers & an Accredited Mediator (General Panel) of HKIAC/HKMAAL.
- Ex-mariner, experience as Port Agent, Charterer in trading firm, Ship Manager, Ship Owner, Chartering & SNP Broker. Part-Time lecturer in Associations/Colleges/Universities for shipping related subjects from 1992 to now.
- Vice-Chairman of Institute of Seatransport, The Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers, Hong Kong Branch, and Hong Kong Logistics Management Staff Association
If your goodself / your colleagues are interested to attend the course, please submit your application before or by 7th April 2021.
We look forward to having your participation.