The 3rd round of on-line course “Engine Department Introductory Course” will be held on 8 June 2022 to 10 August 2022, 10 consecutive Wednesdays.
Please click here for all of the course details.
The course has been included in the pre-approved list of the “Professional Training and Examination Refund Scheme” under the Maritime and Aviation Training Fund (MATF) of the Transport and Housing Bureau. Under the Scheme, successful applicants will be refunded 80% of the fees for completing pre-approved courses/examinations.
Engine Department Introductory Course
“MATF-funded course on the “pre-approved” list (maritime-related) under ProTERS”
Date: 10 Consecutive Wednesdays on 8 June 2022 to 10th August 2022
Time: 18:30 PM – 21:30 PM
Course fee : $4000 per participant
Online Registration link: click here
General Introduction to Engine Room and Machineries in relation to ship
on 8 June 2022 (Wednesday):
• – Layout – Engine Room , Engine Control Room, Steering Room, Boiler
Propulsion on 15 June 2022 (Wednesday):
• Main Engine
• Drive Shaft
• Bearing System
Ship Control on 22 June 2022 (Wednesday):
• Steering gear – Hydraulic System – Rudder – Telemotor
Auxiliary Machinery (I) on 29 June 2022 (Wednesday):
• Fuel Oil System
• Bunkering, sampling method etc
• Lub oil system
• Cooling system – sea water – fresh water
Auxiliary Machinery (II) on 6 July 2022 (Wednesday):
• Electricity Generation System – Generators – Emergency Generator – Batteries – UPS –
• Electricity Distribution System
• Pneumatic System – Air start, Pneumatic actuators, Valves
• Ventilation systems
Hotel Services / Life Support on 13 July 2022 (Wednesday)
• Domestic Water system – Hydrophors, Water Generation
• Sewage / waste water handling system
• Food – Galley + Refrigeration + Garbage + Incinerator
• Air conditioning + Heating system
Pollution Prevention Systems / MARPOL requirements on
20 July 2022 (Wednesday)
• Bilge Water System
• Waste Oil System
• OWS – Incinerator
• Sewage Systems
• Ballast & Air Pollution
Safety systems on 27 July 2022 (Wednesday)
• Fire fighting system – Sea water, CO2, Fixed Foam, Sprinklers
• Prevention – Construction , Design, Detection systems
• Flooding – bilge alarms
Deck Machinery on 3 August 2022 (Wednesday)
• Hatch covers
• Winches / Windlass / Anchors
Manning, Watchkeeping and Maintenance on 10 August 2022 (Wednesday)
• What to monitor?
• What do watch keepers do?
• What is UMS
• Maintenance – Planned / Condition / Breakdown; requirements, limitations
FICS, FIMarI(I), MIMarEST, MHKIMT, CEng
Sharad brings nearly 25 years of maritime experience with him.
Having started as a shipboard engineer in 1995 with Chevron Transport Corporation, he rose to the rank of Chief Engineer before settling ashore in 2006 with Mediterranean Shipping Company as a Technical Superintendent.
While progressing through the shore-based career in a technical role, Sharad worked on developing and expanding his skill-set. In 2012, he was awarded the Membership of Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers. In 2017, he also completed an Executive Leadership Programme with Stanford University, California.
A firm believer in Hong Kong’s potential to become even more important on the maritime map of the world, Sharad has been an active participant in the HK Maritime Week, a regular teacher at ICS Preparatory Course as well as a guest faculty with the MPPF Classes for budding mariners in HK.
Sharad is also a regular contributor to maritime publications and a regular speaker at industry seminars.
If your goodself / your colleagues are interested to attend the course, please submit your application before or by 3rd August 2022.
We look forward to having your participation.
Institute of Seatransport